- Allowing a fully integrated value chain solution, Mondi is starting a series of recyclable barrier papers that can be an alternative for plastic films and laminates
- The series presents a one-stop-shop solution from paper production to barrier utilization and can run on an existing form-fill-and-seal machine (FFS)
- This packaging paper innovation allows a sustainable packaging alternative that is unique for FMCG applications
Mondi, a worldwide leader in packaging and paper, has strongly developed a new recyclable functional barrier paper series. With stability in mind, this series of certified recyclable barrier paper solutions are fully integrated across Mondi’s supply chain—from paper production to the barrier application—and can run on existing filling lines form-fill-and-seal (FFS) applications.
Aegis Recyclable barrier papers
Mondi’s AegisPaper range decreases the amount of plastic used by substituting it with a renewable source with superior mechanical properties, such as puncture resistance, flexibility, printability, and barrier protection.
The coatings technologies used in these papers create custom barriers for grease and water vapor and assure sealability. AegisPapers are proper for various packaging applications in the pet food, frozen food, dry food, secondary packaging, toy, e-commerce, flower packaging, confectionery, and DIY industries.
Functional Barrier Paper
The functional barrier paper can substitute plastic packaging that has conventionally been used for FMCG and consumer products. In a primary step, Mondi’s joint with a European dry pasta producer will decrease the plastic done by 90% and keep them 7,5 tonnes of plastic film per year for one of their product series. This food packaging and other commercialized solutions will be joining the market in the first half of 2021.
“Sustainability is at the center of our strategy, and I am pleased that this continues to be a focus for our customers. Thanks to combining Mondi’s know-how of papermaking, coating, printing, converting, pouch, and bag making alongside our expertise in selected end-uses for consumers, we make ‘paper where possible, plastic when useful,’ a reality. This launch is a breakthrough for the next generation of sustainable packaging.
Peter Orisich, CEO, Flexible Packaging, and Engineered Materials, Mondi
AegisPaper, there are three grades ready for various applications and requirements:
- AegisPaper select allows a broad range of custom barrier characteristics
- AegisPaper 95/5 food is approved as fully recyclable and has the most suitable mechanical properties for food purposes
- AegisPaper decrease gives the thinnest functional barrier paper to overcome the amount of packaging material needed
The paper and coatings solution are all produced and applied in Europe.