Save 50% on plastic
A packaging class for care products is establishing new standards in name of sustainability. Its production needs approximately 50 percent less material than a similar standard packaging type. Also, it can be rolled up entirely like a tube, allowing it to be completely emptied. What’s more, further, the packaging material is fully recyclable.
A unique HDPE bottle produced in cooperation with Beiersdorf for its NIVEA brand is good for the environment in several ways. The innovative bottle with a cap designed for a body lotion range needs around half the packaging material usually needed.
This, therefore, decreases the cost of materials as well as the associated carbon emissions. Its thin-walled structure makes it lighter and makes it more comfortable to squeeze while remaining stable and impact-resistant enough for transportation. It also extends to protect the formula from outer influences such as UV rays.
Optimized discharging of contents – Roll-on plastic packaging
An added advantage of the revolutionary bottle is shown towards the end of its use by the user. When its contents occur to run out, it can be rolled up much like a toothpaste tube, enabling it to be completely emptied. There is a scratch on the bottle’s base, squeezing it collectively to flatten the bottle’s body completely. It can then be quickly rolled up and wholly emptied, occurring in less waste.
Design for recycling
In explaining this packaging solution, consideration was paid to high-quality recycling by the bottle-to-bottle principle. This includes new bottles being produced utilizing recycled bottle material to form a closed-loop. To make this feasible, both the bottle body made of HDPE and the cap formed of PP (not produced by ALPLA) are fully recyclable. They can be easily divided into the appropriate sorting steps and then efficiently recycled. The label is created of the same material as the bottle.
- Technology: EBM – EXTRUSION BLOW MOLDING (EBM)
- Bottle material: HDPE with white color
- Contents: 200 and 350mL
- Optimized discharging of contents thanks to unique packaging design (roll-up function)
- Easy to use – squeeze
- Reduce: The packaging, including cap and label, employs approximately 50% less material than other body lotion packaging of the customer. About 40% of the reduction is achieved in the bottle body
- Recycle: Ideally and utterly recyclable within existing recycling streams (yellow recyclables bin bags/bins) by the bottle-to-bottle principle
- Lightweight: Decreased carbon emissions during generation and transit
- Detail: Label made of a similar material as the bottle (HDPE) and is furthermore easy to roll up
- The packaging solution is ready in stores as NIVEA Naturally Good Body Lotion/NIVEA Natural Balance Body Lotion
‘The new NIVEA bottle developed in close cooperation with Beiersdorf is a highly innovative packaging solution with a clever squeeze and roll-up function. We also focused heavily on sustainability and recycling topics and optimized the bottle in terms of material reuse. And we are already developing it further – together; we are now working on using recycled plastics as well as on additional formats.’
Rafał Masic, ALPLA Packaging Manager